Sunday, April 30, 2017

Just feeling homesick...


RIP (1926-2017)

Grandma Bev died  peacefully in her sleep last night (Tuesday). Dad had visited Gram Bev both
Monday and Tuesday. She wasn't doing very well but they had many good talks and laughs.
Among the subjects were: she was very excited to get to go to heaven, she loved the three of you like crazy, and she didn't want to go to "the funny farm," ( her idea of a nursing home). They had a nice dinner last night and Dad found her this morning when he got there.  She is happy.
Love , Mom and Dad.


I'm really missing home. Even though I just started this job I'm thinking of coming back to the USA.
It's difficult living in a foreign country not knowing the language it's frustrating at times.
Miss you all and I am so sad to hear about Grandma Bev! I'm very upset about this but she lived a nice long life and we loved her for being such a cool grandma! Over in Vietnam when an elder passes they celebrate their lives by singing Karaoke and playing music really loud in the street and invite all the family and relatives to a big street party for food and song! Maybe she would like if we did that for her? When is her funeral? Is everyone ok?
Love
-Cam

you know Grandma Bev- she certainly didn't want a funeral!


She was SO ready to go to heaven- very excited to go!!  Honestly- be happy for her- she didn't want to leave her place and go to a nursing home!!  I like the Vietnamese version of celebrating life!

Everyone is OK- It's amazing what you've done Cameron, and challenging- dad and I want to come to Vietnam!!


Hey dude,

I talked to mom and dad on the phone yesterday and Dad definitely went through all the emotions but he's doing ok. Recently Grandma Bev was talking about how there wasn't a chance that she would go to a retirement home. It was getting to that point where Dad was having to look into finding some kind of care for her and she just happened to pass the next day. She was still just as sharp as she's always been but I think she was just ready. 

It definitely sucks for all of us and I'm gonna miss her but personally I'm finding comfort just knowing that she was ready to go and had a good sense of humor about everything.

So had you been thinking about coming back to the states even before you heard the news about Grandma?

Love you bro,

Mac

Hi Cam: you have done so well in Vietnam and got your teaching credentials I really hope you will give it some time to help the students. I think you should see it through at least six months to show that you can stick with something even though it may be trying at times. You are almost 28 years old and I think it is best for you to stick with something and then good things will happen. Set some personal goals for health and maybe more of your art in Vietnam. You are good at making friends. You know I love you and want the best for you...but supporting you when you change your mind all the time is not good for any of us.  I am proud of what you have done.
Love
Dad

Hi Dad,

Yes, Mac I was thinking about this before I heard about Grandma and I am very sad to hear about it I wish she could have met Kino. 
I am...
Just feeling homesick. I like the job and its a great chance to grow and learn a new skill that I might even want to use in the USA (teach art or photography in colleges or high schools). I appreciate the support and maybe just needed some encouragement as I am by myself over here. I understand its not good to change my mind this late in my life almost my birthday and will be 28 in May and I need to stick with it. I miss Kino, Mac, Whit and Mom. I will stick with it through the end of my contract. I signed for a year or so I will have this job until next April (2018). 

Its just frustrating not knowing Vietnamese. I am trying to learn it but its tough. I have been working out again and drinking rarely (staying healthy). I have some friends also but our schedules are different because I work on the weekends and they don't. But the new people who I have met at ILA my teaching center are on the same schedule so I am getting to know them. I don't want to throw away all the hard work I have done over here that quickly but lately I have been thinking about the USA and how compared to Vietnam it is a better quality of life. The cost of living is low over here but its for a good reason because of pollution, poor quality of produce, no clean water, corruption and communist society. It can be grim at times. But I can see the positivity all around me people are closer together here by force because the lack of space and density of population so everyone sees each other and spends more time together outside their homes, so thats comforting to see. The street life is very much alive out here.

If I came back I would have to start from nothing. I wouldn't ask for anything but for a place to live and from there I could manage my life independently. Over here I can take the next step in my adult life and afford nicer things and see tangible results in my life quicker opposed to climbing the ladder over in the USA where you don't get to see your earnings manifest themselves as quickly as they do over in Vietnam as a foreigner. I know its a special place over here. Some say its the last place in the world you can really start something from nothing... Ok off to my evening kindergarten class!   

Miss you all, love you all, 
Cam

Hi Cam:  This is probably the best letter I have ever received from you my boy!  You have expressed yourself as the man you have become.  You have made a commitment and to stay with it is what responsible people do.  You will gain valuable skills that will serve you well and that I guarantee very few of your friends are experiencing.
Live and learn every day and give yourself to your students.  Really happy to hear you are working out again- keep it up.
I’m very proud of you.  This will be an experience that will stay for you forever no matter what else you do in your life.  Embrace it.
We do miss you too.  Mom and I will plan a trip to come see you. 
Everything is the same here- you must know that Grandma lived a full life and she was ABSOLUTELY ready to leave this life behind.  I was able to spend time with her in her final hours which was great for both of us.  She really didn’t want anyone else around even though she loved you kids and always wanted to know the latest.  She was so amazed that you could make such a move to Vietnam and flourish there…she was proud of you too.
Anyway.  I thank you for your great letter and for being such a wonderful person and son. 
Love you pal.
Dad



No comments:

Post a Comment